Hair Care in Hawaii: Say Goodbye to Frizz!
Humidity in Hawaii
Hawaii is great for so many things….beaches…luaus…surfing…food. The list is endless. What’s it not good for: frizzy hair. The heat and humidity can really do a number on those who live and visit here. Think ahead and beat the frizz with these hair care tips.
• Instead of using a blow dryer, let your hair air dry. Pat your hair dry gently after emerging from the shower rather than use forced rubbing, which can actually damage the hair shaft and cause more frizz.
• Avoid conditioner products that contain alcohol, which is very drying. Use shampoos that contain moisturizers and that are right for your hair type. For example, if you color your hair, use a shampoo/conditioner mix that is specifically designed for color-treated hair.
• Comb through your damp hair with a pick or wide-tooth comb, not a brush.
• Invest in a scarf or hat for your visit to Hawaii. This will protect your locks from the damaging effects of the sun and wind.
• Purchase travel-size containers for hair care products before flying. Many are available in 3 oz. sizes which are required if you’re going to carry them on the plane.
• Talk to your hair stylist before going on vacation and ask his or her advice on what you can do to avoid frizz.
• Bring hair clips, elastics and hair bands to control your hair should you have a frizz outbreak. Hats and visors are also recommended, especially when out on the beach so your hair doesn’t get tangled.
• Place a small travel brush in your handbag or beach bag to smooth out your hair after visiting areas with lots of wind and humidity.
• Invest in a detangler to apply to your hair so you can smoothly comb through it after going in the water.
• Get a hair wax, gel or mousse that is meant for straightening. This will help tame out-of-control curls and frizz, but just apply a light layer or you’ll be weighed down. A humidity-blocking hair spray is also a good idea.
• Use a drop or two of olive or coconut oil in your hair after washing to lock in moisture.
• Try an apple cider vinegar rinse, the acidity of which is great for adding shine and control to bushy hair. Combine two tablespoons apple cider vinegar and some water in a cup, pour it on your hair and let it sit for 10 minutes before rinsing with cool water.
• Apply an avocado and olive oil mask, thanks to the fatty acids in avocado and the hydrating effects of olive oil. Mash the avocado and add in some olive oil, apply to hair and let sit for a half hour before rinsing.
• Give yourself a hot oil massage by warming up olive oil, applying it to hair, letting it sit for 20 minutes, and rinsing.
Now that you have your frizzy hair situation tamed, let’s talk about what you want to do while in Oahu! Hoku Hawaii Tours has some excellent suggestions…perhaps a Pearl Harbor tour?